For immediate release
Mediacorp celebrates Radio 80
Singapore, 7 January 2016 – Singapore’s Mediacorp is marking 80 years of radio broadcasting in 2016. On 1 June 1936, radio transmission began in Singapore with one radio station operating from a government building in Empress Place.
From a single station, Mediacorp today has a network of 13 FM stations that broadcast mainly in the four national languages. Mediacorp’s radio stations play an integral role in the lives of Singaporeans reaching out to more than 80% of the population. On average, each Mediacorp radio listener spends more three hours a day tuning in to their favourite stations.
Series of Radio 80 initiatives planned
To celebrate the occasion, Mediacorp has planned a series of activities to engage its listeners, advertisers and the community. Mediacorp Radio 80 celebration highlights include:
• Voice of Radio (寻找星声音). Singapore’s top three radio stations – LOVE 97.2FM, YES 933 and Capital 95.8FM – will launch a search for the next generation of Chinese-speaking radio talents. Winners will be offered a deejay contract with Mediacorp.
• 80 in 80. The concert giveaway will see Class 95, Gold 905, 987FM and Lush 99.5FM giving away 80 concert experiences to listeners during call-in contests. A grand winner at the end of the year will receive the ultimate prize of eight concert experiences in 2017.
• News: Music To My Ears. Singapore's only English news and talk station 938LIVE will present a unique concert with newsmakers in Singapore and Asia jamming with young local indie singers.
• Viva Karnival & Rentak Singapura ROCK 80! Popular Malay stations, Warna 94.2FM and Ria 89.7FM will bring listeners together with deejays in a fun-filled carnival topped off by a concert celebrating Malay Rock Hits of the 80s.
• Mother’s Day Extravaganza. Oli 96.8FM will honour eight 80-year old mothers who have made an immense impact in the lives of others.
• Radio Gives Back. An initiative launched in 2011 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of radio broadcasting in Singapore, makes a comeback. In reprising this CSR activity, Mediacorp will adopt 80 needy families and provide them with household necessities for an entire year, supported by our sponsoring partners, Daikin Airconditioning (Singapore), Chan Brothers Travel and Harvey Norman.
• Radio 80 Exhibition. An exhibition on 80 Years of Radio in Singapore will be presented at the National Museum of Singapore, in collaboration with the Singapore HeritageFest 2016. This exhibition will focus on the importance of radio in bringing communities together, and its influence on our cultural identities.
• TV sitcom. Watch a thirteen-part comedy on Mediacorp’s Channel 5 about a fictional radio station with a bunch of talented, eccentric deejays. Expect cameo appearances by popular radio personalities.
• An update of MeRadio. Mediacorp’s radio app, which reaches over 500,000 visitors monthly, will see a refresh by introducing a better interface for accessing all of Mediacorp’s 13 radio stations and new features to enhance listeners’ experience.
Ms Debra Soon, Head, Family (English) and Premier Segments and Chair of Mediacorp’s Radio 80 Committee said, “People love radio for its personal and portable nature. Our radio stations have thrived by focusing on listeners, and remaining informative and entertaining. In a disruptive media landscape, we will continue to adapt, so look forward to more innovations from us, to take radio beyond 80 years.”
Mediacorp has the widest range of media platforms in Singapore spanning digital, television, radio, print and out-of-home media. Its mission is to engage, entertain and enrich audiences by harnessing the power of creativity.
Mediacorp pioneered the development of Singapore’s broadcasting industry, with the radio broadcast in 1936 and television broadcast in 1963. Today, the company has over 50 products and brands in four languages (English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil), reaching out to virtually all adults in Singapore weekly.
Mediacorp is an active regional player through Channel NewsAsia International, drama co-productions and collaborations in magazine publishing and online media. Its investments include majority share in Kapanlagi Network, Indonesia’s largest independent digital media and in Malaysia’s digital games publisher Cubinet Interactive. It also has stakes in Reebonz, one of the region’s fastest growing luxury online retailers, and Vietnam television’s International Media Corporation.
Mediacorp was named Terrestrial Broadcaster of the Year for the 12th time at the Asian Television Awards in 2015.
For more information, please visit mediacorp.sg.
Senior Manager, Brand and Communications, Mediacorp
Tel.: +65 6359 7307
Assistant VP, Branding and Promotions, Family (English), Mediacorp
Tel.: +65 6359 7700