For Immediate Release
Mediapreneur startups to watch in 2017
Seed investments in startups cross $2 million as Mediacorp incubator invites a third phase of applications
Singapore – 2 February 2017: Mediapreneur, the incubator programme by Mediacorp, announced that it has raised over $2million in seed investment over the last two years and is inviting a third batch of applications for 2017.
Launched in 2013, Mediacorp’s incubator Mediapreneur provides seed funding, intellectual property, mentoring, working space and networking opportunities for digital media startups. Mediapreneur startups are given exclusive opportunities to tap on Mediacorp’s intellectual property, such as news and entertainment content, and pursue business development opportunities in tie-ups with Mediacorp’s customer segment units. Mediapreneur start-ups to watch in 2017 include:
- Spotted! - a gamification platform for advertising that has found success with Mediacorp Channel 8 and has raised significant funding on FundedHere, a Singapore-based equity-based and lending crowdfunding platform targeting start-ups in Southeast Asia and Greater China.
- Popsical – a company already taking pre-orders for the smartest and smallest karaoke on the Kickstarter platform.
- BeLive – a platform to connect people via live video. They have plans to run an island-wide event in search of the first live-streaming stars in 2017.
- Mentorica – a turnkey solution provider offering data analytics tools for retail stores to increase customer conversion via a 360° view of the customer. They have six pilot projects with retailers in Singapore and the Philippines.
- Popular Chips – an analytics platform for Instagram influencers. They have worked with companies from RWSentosa, HBO, Turner TV, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Geox, Asics to Skin Inc and the company plans to launch a YouTube version of their Influencer Marketing Analytics platform and to enter the Chinese market sometime this year.
- Vostok VR – an award-winning Singapore-based 360/VR production studio, they have created more than 30 commercial and 360 art projects in Singapore and South-East Asia (working with MNCs, Media Agencies and Government Authorities). They will be launching their own VR app, based on Asia-themed cinematic content, for users this year.
Vitaliy Nechaev, CEO of Vostok VR, the first VR/360 company invested by Mediacorp, said, "As a startup, what we need are wide network of business contacts and qualified mentoring to scale our products globally. That’s why we find the Mediapreneur programme so attractive. Currently, we are producing virtual reality (VR) content and have completed four videos for Channel NewsAsia, with four more videos in the pipeline. Our business has increased by over 600% within the first six months as a result.”
Guillaume Sachet, Mediacorp’s Head of Strategic Planning said, “We are happy to see good progress and successes from the first two batches of startups who have gone on to launch their products in the market. Mediapreneur turns start-up companies with innovative ideas into successful technology businesses and profitable ones. We aim to be the nurturing conduit to grow this healthy ecosystem of entrepreneurial space.”
Applications to phase three are open till 11.59pm on 5 March 2017. Please visit mediacorp.sg/mediapreneur for more information.
Mediapreneur is Mediacorp’s incubation programme for media-related start-ups. Start-ups admitted to the Mediapreneur will go through a one-year structured incubation programme. Startups will be housed at Mediacorp Campus located within Mediapolis@one-north and receive seed funding of up to S$50,000 in exchange for a small amount of equity. More importantly, startups will receive help and guidance from experienced mentors on all aspects of their business on a regular basis and be able to access an extended mentor network of established entrepreneurs, investors and technologists.
There will be opportunities to tap on Mediacorp’s considerable intellectual property, such as news and entertainment content, Mediacorp’s platforms such as TV and radio and tie up with the many business units of Mediacorp. Through the Mediapreneur programme, we hope to turn start-up companies with innovative ideas into successful technology businesses.
For more information visit: www16.mediacorp.sg/themediapreneur
Mediacorp has the widest range of media platforms in Singapore spanning digital, television, radio, print and out-of-home media. Its mission is to engage, entertain and enrich audiences by harnessing the power of creativity.
Mediacorp pioneered the development of Singapore’s broadcasting industry, with the radio broadcast in 1936 and television broadcast in 1963. Today, the company has over 50 products and brands in four languages (English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil), reaching out to virtually all adults in Singapore weekly.
Mediacorp is an active regional player through Channel NewsAsia International, drama co-productions and collaborations in magazine publishing and online media. Its investments include majority share in Kapanlagi Network, Indonesia’s largest independent digital media and in Malaysia’s digital games publisher Cubinet Interactive. It also has stakes in Reebonz, one of the region’s fastest growing luxury online retailers, and Vietnam television’s International Media Corporation.
Mediacorp was named Terrestrial Broadcaster of the Year for the 13th time at the Asian Television Awards in 2016.
For more information, please visit mediacorp.sg.
Yeong Lai Lai
Senior Manager, Brand and Communications, Mediacorp
Tel.: +656350 3945