For immediate release
MediaCorp pulls in best ever performance at the 2009 New York Festivals
Singapore, 21 January 2009 – MediaCorp has been awarded with its largest win ever of 2 Gold, 4 Silver, 1 Bronze and 10 Finalist Certificates at the 2009 New York Festivals. The winning entries are programmes that were produced for and telecast on Channel NewsAsia, Channel U, Channel 5, Suria and documentaries produced for the international market by Caldecott Productions International. Channel U won the Gold World Medal (Television Programming and Promotion) for My World My Blog , a docudrama chronicling the lives of youths today, while Caldecott Productions International won the Gold World Medal (Video and Film) for their documentary Made In China on China’s copy artists. Kindly refer to Annex 1 for a complete list of winners. The New York Festivals was established 51 years ago, and its Television Programming and Promotion Awards, as well as the Film and Video Awards recognise "The World's Best Work" in news, documentary, information and entertainment programming as well as in music videos, infomercials, promotion spots, openings and ID's as well as informational, educational and industrial film productions and corporate video. This year’s competitors included international networks such as BBC, ESPN, Discovery and CNN, as well as Asian broadcasters such as Fuji Television Network (Japan) Radio Television Hong Kong, GMA Network (Philippines), ABS-CBN (Philippines) and Public Television Service Foundation (Taiwan).
Says Mr Chang Long Jong, Deputy CEO, Television / Productions / Enterprises, MediaCorp, “Winning the New York Festivals Awards is a great honour for us; we are proud and very encouraged to be recognized among the best in the world. We will continue to produce unique Singaporean content that we can showcase to the world
Woon Tai Ho, managing director, News, MediaCorp, adds, "In Channel NewsAsia, we always try to find new viewers, younger viewers, engage them and BlogTV.SG is just one example. We combine traditional TV with cyberspace. Winning this award just reinforces that."
"We're very excited because we have had bronzes before for sitcoms. This time, we've got a silver. It shows our standards have levelled up. It's also a testimony of the collaboration between the independents, in this case Dream Forest, and MediaCorp,” says Kenneth Liang, EVP, TV Programming & Production, Channel 5, MediaCorp TV.
Issued by Corporate Communications, MediaCorp
For more information, please contact:
MediaCorp Pte Ltd
Tel :(65) 6350 3945
Fax :(65) 6251 5628
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
MediaCorp is Singapore’s leading media company with the most complete range of platforms, spanning television, radio, newspapers, magazines, movies and digital media.
It pioneered the development of Singapore’s broadcasting industry, with the broadcast of Radio in 1936 and Television in 1963. Today, MediaCorp has over 50 products and brands in four languages (English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil), reaching out to all adults in Singapore every week.
Our industry firsts include the Digital Video Broadcast technology for outdoor digital television, and Asia’s first Digital Audio Broadcast radio service. Initiatives in the digital space include online classifieds, Internet TV-on-demand and High Definition TV broadcast.
MediaCorp is an active regional player through co-productions in TV dramas and movies, magazines publishing, as well as Channel NewsAsia International, the only Asian-owned English news channel.
Our financial and strategic relationships in the region since 2007, include a venture with Indonesia's most integrated media company PT Media Nusantara Citra and its parent, Global Mediacom, leading Chinese outdoor advertising firm Nanjing-based Dahe Media Pte Ltd and International Media Corporation in Vietnam, set up to develop and produce television entertainment and economic news content.
Winner of numerous international awards and accolades including Asia Television's Broadcaster of the Year, MediaCorp’s vision is to become Asia’s top media company, delivering valued content to the world.
For more information, please visit www.mediacorp.com.sg
New York Festivals 2009 MediaCorp Wins
Total wins (TV Programming/Promotion and Film and Video)
2 Gold, 4 Silver, 1 Bronze, 10 Finalist Certificates.
The New York Festivals International TV Programming and Promotion Awards
- Gold World Medal, My World My Blog, Docudrama, produced by 360 for Channel U
- Silver World Medal, My World My Blog, Direction, produced by 360 for Channel U
- Silver World Medal, Tale of Four Cities (Food), Travel & Tourism, Channel NewsAsia
- Silver World Medal, BlogTV.sg - Let’s Talk about Sex, Educational/instructional TV, Channel NewsAsia
- Silver World Medal, 80’s Rewind, Situation Comedy, produced by Dream Forest Productions for Channel 5 (previous notable winners include Frasier and Sex And The City)
- Finalist Certificate, Max Out Generic Promo, Information/Magazine Programme Promotion, Channel NewsAsia
- Finalist Certificate, Truth About Food Teaser, Information/Magazine Programme Promotion, Channel NewsAsia
- Finalist Certificate, Insight, Politics, Channel NewsAsia
- Finalist Certificate, Sayang Sayang, Best Costume Design, Channel 5
- Finalist Certificate, Parental Guidance, Situation Comedy, Channel 5
- Finalist Certificate, The Mummy Thief, Cultural Issues, Caldecott Productions International
- Finalist Certificate, Women, Water & 10,000 Miles, Best Camerawork, Caldecott Productions International
- Finalist Certificate, Our Rice House, Drama, produced by picstalks for Channel 8
- Finalist Certificate, Anugerah Band, Music Video: Low Budget, Suria
The New York Festivals International Film and Video Awards
- Gold World Medal, Made In China, Documentaries, Caldecott Productions International
- Bronze World Medal, Why Icarus Cannot Fly, Craft: Cinematography, Caldecott Productions International
- Finalist Certificate, Scissorhand, Craft: Editing, Caldecott Productions International.