Just Keep Thinking Crowned Content Creator of the Year and Best Newcomer at The Pinwheels 2023
Singapore, 3 March - It’s official: Just Keep Thinking has won the prestigious Content Creator of the Year award at The Pinwheels 2023! The local science content creator beat the likes of Temasek Polytechnic, Mothership and TSL Media to take home the coveted title and a $10,000 production grant. Just Keep Thinking was also recognised as this year’s Best Newcomer for its video How does the Singapore Army's Artillery hit their targets? and bagged an additional $5,000 production grant.
Organised by Mediacorp with support from YouTube, The Pinwheels celebrates excellence in digital content creation and underlines Mediacorp’s commitment to nurturing local talent and growing the content creator ecosystem in Singapore. The second edition of The Pinwheels saw a total of 434 entries submitted from budding YouTubers to full-time content producers.
This year’s results were unveiled this evening at a by-invitation only awards presentation event held at Pasir Panjang Power Station, which featured show-stopping performances by viral Mandopop star Priscilla Abby, DJ and producer MYRNE, beatboxer Dharni and local indie acts such as Joie Tan, Umar, Rangga and Keyana.
Other closely watched categories at the awards show included Content of the Year – another category sweetened with a $5,000 production grant – which went to Hakeem James Hausley for his documentary Air Time; and the title of Most Innovative Video, which was awarded to Mothership for an episode in its True Crime series, The gang leader who murdered a man in his own home: One-Eyed Dragon.
The winners in full are:
- Content Creator of the Year: Just Keep Thinking
- Content of the Year: Air Time – Hakeem James Hausley
- Best Newcomer: How does the Singapore Army’s Artillery hit their targets? – Just Keep Thinking
- Best Drama Video: Bahay – Temasek Poly
- Best Beauty and Fashion Video: Oru Naal Koothu with Suthasini – Dev Studio Productionz
- Best Collaboration Video: A Malay Neighbour’s CNY decorations For An 80-year-old Ah Ma – Singapore Kindness Movement
- Best Lifestyle Video: Can’t believe I’m finally BACK IN JAPAN – Shawneydepp
- Best Non-Fiction Video: Ask Me Anything with Xie Dong The Flower Garland Maker – MustShareNews
- Most Innovative Video: The gang leader who murdered a man in his own home: One-Eyed Dragon | True Crime – Mothership
- Most Social Good Video: Man Made – Not Brothers Co.
The Pinwheels 2023 were open to Singaporeans and Permanent Residents whose videos were produced in Singapore for the Singapore market and uploaded on any social media platform from 1 November 2021 and 31 October 2022. Entries were judged by a panel of industry professionals in terms of their theoretical aspects (20 percent), such as the motivations and inspiration behind each video production; as well as their practical aspects (80 percent), such as the concept, writing and quality of each production.
Parminder Singh, Chief Commercial and Digital Officer, Mediacorp, said, “We are encouraged by the stronger response to the second edition of The Pinwheels and we thank everyone for their continued support. This year’s finalists thoroughly impressed our panel of judges for their remarkable creative value and high production quality, and are a resounding testament to the rich content creating talent we have right here in Singapore. Congratulations to all our winners tonight, and may your success inspire other fellow content creators to reach for greater heights!”
Viewers can catch exclusive highlights of The Pinwheels 2023 awards show on mewatch and Mediacorp Entertainment’s YouTube channel on 10 March 2023. For more information on The Pinwheels, please visit mediacorp.sg/pinwheels.